Laptops are a convenient and portable choice for computing, but they can also generate a lot of heat, especially when being used for heavy tasks such as gaming or video editing.
To address this issue, many people turn to laptop coolers, which are designed to help dissipate heat and keep laptops running cooler. But how effective are these coolers, and are they worth the investment?
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the benefits and drawbacks of using laptop coolers to help you decide whether one is right for you.
How do laptop coolers work?
Laptop coolers provide additional airflow to help dissipate heat away from the laptop. This can be accomplished through a variety of different methods.
One common type of laptop cooler is a fan-based cooler, which uses one or more fans to blow air onto the bottom of the laptop. This can help draw heat away from the laptop and into the surrounding air. Fan-based coolers can be standalone units or built into laptop stands or pads.
Another type of laptop cooler is a pad or stand that utilizes heat-conductive materials to absorb heat from the laptop and dissipate it away. These coolers tend to be more passive in their cooling method, relying on heat conduction rather than actively blowing air.
It’s worth noting that the effectiveness of a laptop cooler can vary based on factors such as the size and design of the cooler and the size and design of the laptop itself. Laptops with larger or irregularly shaped designs may not benefit as much from a cooler, as the heat may not be as evenly distributed.
Overall, the best laptop cooler for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Consider the size and design of your laptop, as well as your budget and desired level of cooling performance, when choosing a cooler.
Benefits of Using a Laptop Cooler
There are several potential benefits to using a laptop cooler. One of the main advantages is the potential for improved performance and longevity of the laptop. As heat can be one of the main factors that can cause a laptop to slow down or malfunction, reducing the heat can help keep the laptop running smoothly. This can be especially important for tasks that are more demanding on the laptop’s hardware, such as gaming or video editing.
In addition to improving performance, using a laptop cooler can also increase comfort while using the laptop. Laptops can get quite warm, mainly when used for extended periods. A cooler can help keep the laptop at a more comfortable temperature, making it more pleasant to use.
Another potential benefit of using a laptop cooler is the reduced risk of overheating and related damage. Overheating can cause a laptop to shut down unexpectedly or even cause permanent damage to the hardware. Using a cooler to help dissipate heat may reduce the risk of overheating and the associated issues.
It’s worth noting that the degree to which these benefits are realized will depend on factors such as the type and effectiveness of the cooler being used and the specific laptop and its cooling design.
Drawbacks of Using a Laptop Cooler
While laptop coolers can offer several benefits, there are also some drawbacks. One potential drawback is the additional cost of purchasing a cooler. Depending on the type and features of the cooler, prices can vary significantly. This can be a factor to consider if you’re on a tight budget or are unsure how much of a difference a cooler will make for your specific laptop.
Another potential drawback is the potential added bulk and weight to your laptop setup. Depending on the type of cooler you choose, it may add some additional size and weight to your setup, which can be inconvenient if you frequently carry your laptop with you. This is especially true for fan-based coolers, which may be larger and heavier than other types.
Additionally, it’s worth noting that laptop coolers may not work as effectively on laptops with larger or irregularly shaped designs. The heat generated by a laptop is often not evenly distributed, and a cooler designed to work with a particular size or shape of a laptop may not be as effective on a different size or shape.
While laptop coolers can offer some benefits, it’s important to consider the potential drawbacks and whether a cooler is worth the investment for your specific needs and circumstances.
Some Recommended Laptop Coolers
- Suit for any laptop 10 to 15.6 inches - The laptop stand fits all laptops 10 to 15.6 inches, such as notebooks PC computers 10 inches, 11 inches, 12 inches, 13 inches, 13.3 inches, 14 inches, 15...
- Sturdy and portable - The office computer stand is totally made of thickened aluminum alloy, so the stand is sturdier and has less wobbly. The rubber on the holder hands sticks tightly and ensure your...
- Ergonomic design - The slim compact stand elevates your laptop by 6-inch to a perfect eye level and prevents you from hunching over your screen, which reduces neck and shoulder pain. Moreover, the...
- Enthusiast CPU Thermal Compound: Premium Zinc Oxide based thermal compound for optimal thermal performance.
- Cools your CPU and GPU: Install new, or replace existing thermal compound on your CPU and GPU to improve heat transfer and lower temperatures.
- Improved CPU Cooling: Ultra-low thermal impedance lowers CPU temperatures vs common thermal paste.
- Broad Compatibility: Besign LSX3S Laptop Stand is compatible with all laptops from 10''-15.6'', such as Air 13, Pro 13 / 15 / 2018 / 2017 / 2016, Lenovo ThinkPad, Dell, HP, Chromebook, and other...
- Ergonomic Design: This LSX3S Laptop Stand could be adjustable in height and angle of your laptop for your better ergonomics to minimize neck fatigue, say goodbye to neck pains.
- Stable And Protective: This adjustable laptop stand is made of premium Aluminum alloy, it is sturdy, support up to 8.8 lbs, no worry any wobble at all; the rubber on the holder hands sticks tightly,...
- EXTREMELY high thermal conductivity of 12.5KW achieved with even smaller particles, is perfect for even the most demanding configurations and can also be used in industrial cooling systems
- THERMAL COMPOUND PASTE EASY TO USE - Thanks to a specially constructed syringe and a spatula for spreading thermal grease included. It guarantees a simple, pleasant and precise distribution of the...
- LONG ACTION - Provides long-lasting effect, thanks to its characteristic and specialized structure, Kryonaut thermal paste does not dry out even at 80° Celsius degrees
- 【Heat Dissipation】 With the open back design it offers the best ventilation and airflow needed to cool either your notebook or gaming laptop and preventing it from Overheating. And the rubber pads...
- 【Broader Compatibility】 Nulaxy C3 Laptop Stand is compatible with all laptops from 10-16 inches such as MacBook 12/ 13 MacBook Air 13 Macbook Pro 13/ 15 Google Pixelbook Dell XPS HP ASUS Lenovo...
- 【Ergonomic Riser】 The Laptop stand works as a riser to elevate the laptop screen to 7’’ and brings it to a perfect eye level to fix your posture. The ergonomic riser will help reduce neck and...
Frequently Asked Questions
How much do laptop coolers cost?
The cost of a laptop cooler can vary significantly depending on the type and features of the cooler. Fan-based coolers are more affordable, ranging from around $10 to $50. Heat-conductive pads and stands can range from around $30 to $100.
Do laptop coolers really work?
Laptop coolers can help dissipate heat and keep laptops running cooler. Still, the extent to which they work will depend on several factors, such as the type and effectiveness of the cooler, the size and design of the laptop, and the specific tasks being performed on the laptop.
In general, laptop coolers can be more effective at reducing heat on laptops that generate a lot of heat or are used for heavy tasks but may have a less noticeable impact on laptops that are only used for basic tasks.
Are laptop coolers worth it?
Whether a laptop cooler is worth it will depend on your specific needs and circumstances. If you frequently use your laptop for heavy tasks that generate a lot of heat or if you’re experiencing issues with overheating, a cooler may be worth considering.
However, a cooler may not be as necessary if you only use your laptop for basic tasks or if you’re on a tight budget. It’s essential to weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks and decide what makes the most sense.
Can laptop coolers damage my laptop?
Adequately designed and used laptop coolers should not cause damage to your laptop. However, it’s essential to choose a cooler compatible with your laptop and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use. Using a cooler not designed for your laptop or misusing a cooler could cause damage.
Laptop coolers are designed to help dissipate heat and keep laptops running cooler, which can have several benefits such as improved performance, increased comfort while using the laptop, and reduced risk of overheating and related damage.
However, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider, including the added cost, added bulk and weight to the laptop setup, and potentially reduced effectiveness on laptops with larger or irregularly shaped designs.
Whether a laptop cooler is worth considering for your individual needs and circumstances will depend on various factors. If you frequently use your laptop for heavy tasks that generate a lot of heat or if you’re experiencing issues with overheating, a cooler may be worth considering. However, a cooler may not be as necessary if you only use your laptop for basic tasks or if you’re on a tight budget.
Ultimately, it’s important to weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks and decide what makes the most sense for you.